To Your Health

Why Choose Organic and Grass fed Beef?

More essential Omega-3 Fatty Acids

  • Meat from grass-fed animals has two to four times more omega-3 fatty acids than meat from grain-fed animals.
  • Each day that an animal spends in the feedlot, its supply of omega-3s is diminished

More health-promoting CLA

  • When animals are raised on fresh pasture alone, their products contain from three to five times more CLA than products from animals fed conventional diets.
  • You would have to eat five times the amount of grain-fed meat to get the same level of CLA found in grass-fed animals.

More Vitamin E, C and Beta-Carotene

  • The meat from the pastured cattle is four times higher in vitamin E, C and Beta-Carotene than the meat from the feedlot cattle and almost twice as high as the meat from the feedlot cattle given vitamin supplements.

Less Total Fat

  • Meat from grass-fed cattle is lower in total fat than feedlot-raised animals.
  • Research shows that lean beef actually lowers your “bad” LDL cholesterol levels.
  • Typical annual consumption of beef per person is 66.5 pounds.
  • Switching to lean grass-fed beef will save you 17,733 calories a year. If all Americans switched to grass-fed meat, our national epidemic of obesity might diminish.

Why don’t we use antibiotics on our livestock?

Overuse of antibiotics in animals is causing more strains of drug-resistant bacteria, which is affecting the treatment of various life-threatening diseases in humans. The Institute of Medicine at the National Academy of Sciences has estimated the annual cost of treating antibiotic-resistant infections in the U.S. at $30 billion.

– National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. May 4, 1999
“Antimicrobial Fact Sheet”

Fifty million pounds of antibiotics are produced in the U.S. each year. Twenty million pounds are given to animals, of which 80% (16 million pounds) is used on livestock merely to promote more rapid growth. The remaining 20% is used to help control the multitude of diseases that occur under such tightly confined conditions, including anemia, influenza, intestinal diseases, mastitis, metritis, orthostasis, and pneumonia.

– American Medical News, February 15, 1999
“FDA Pledges to Fight Overuse of Antibiotics in Animals”

Antibiotics in farm animals leave behind drug-resistant microbes in meat and milk. With every burger and shake consumed, super-microbes settle in the stomach where they transfer drug resistance to bacteria in the body, making an individual more vulnerable to previously-treatable conditions.

– Newsweek, March 7, 1994

{embed where=content&where_id=57&display=1&showdate=0&showthumb=0&more=0}
Organic food and beef is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations (United States Department of Agriculture – USDA – National Organic Program – NOP). Certified organic beef in the United States is grown according to standards set by the National Organic Program.Before a product can be labeled “organic,” a USDA accredited certifier inspects the farm where the beef are pastured and graze to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones.